Microsoft announces key releases for this week, next month.
As we noted last Monday, the first post-E3 week for Xbox Live Arcade releases, now is the time for Microsoft to start delivering some of those long-awaited titles. While they may have more or less dropped the ball, serving up Go! Go! Break Steady and 1942: Joint Strike instead, it would seem they’re finally ready to step up to the plate now. On his blog, Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb today announced not only this Wednesday’s release, but also several key titles hitting XBLA in the next month, what Microsoft is calling the "Summer of Arcade".
Kicking off the event, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 will be released later this week, followed by Braid, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Galaga Legions and Castle Crashers in August. The exact release dates and official descriptions can be found in an excerpt below:
• July 30: “Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2” – The latest version of the wildly popular retro shooter offers screen-melting intensity and insane new features, including six action-packed gameplay modes, new enemies, scoring strategies and a diverse list of exciting Achievements. “Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2” is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available at 800 Microsoft Points.
• August 6: “Braid” – From acclaimed developer Jonathan Blow, “Braid” is a mind-bending and artistic puzzle-platformer where the player manipulates the flow of time in strange and unusual ways. “Braid”is rated E10+ for Everyone 10+ by the ESRB.
• August 13: “Bionic Commando: Rearmed” – The classic 8-bit side-scroller reports back for duty in a stunning remake, complete with all-new HD graphics and features that put 2D gaming back on the map! “Bionic Commando: Rearmed” is rated M for Mature by the ESRB
• August 20: “Galaga Legions” – The legend lives on with “Galaga Legions,” a reimagining of the classic arcade shooter. Featuring table-turning game dynamics and updated graphics, the game was created by the team behind the bestselling “PAC-MAN Championship Edition” from Namco Bandai Games. “Galaga Legions” is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.
• August 27: “Castle Crashers” – Award-winning studio The Behemoth brings red hot arcade adventure to Xbox LIVE Arcade with “Castle Crashers,” featuring hand-drawn characters and an array of weapons to choose from as you defend your kingdom and save the princess. “Castle Crashers” is rated T for Teen by the ESRB.
At this moment, it is a little unclear whether or not the listed games will be the only ones released during that time span. It seems unlikely – after all, Fable 2’s pub games are also scheduled to hit sometime next month – but, even if they are, Xbox 360 owners are already getting a number of quality titles, which should be enough to tide over even the most demanding of players. However, we will continue to keep an eye on this story and, if we learn anything more, you’ll see it right here. So, be sure to check back at VGGEN often!
Add Your Comments!
Please keep your comments relevant to this news article. Promotional and inappropriate comments may be removed at our discretion.
You must enter a valid email address. You will be sent an email with a link you must click to confirm your comment. Your comment will not be visible until you do so. Your email address will be kept confidential, and will never be displayed or shared.